Here’s a list with my current, most important, camera equipment. In terms of software, I use Lightroom for organizing and 90% of my photo adjustments. Photoshop handles the rest 10%.
D600 replaced my old D70s and it was like putting on glasses for the first time. The difference in picture quality and ISO noise. Suddenly I could go from ISO600 to 6400 without any difference in noise and thereby being able to take photos in dark environments which I couldn’t before. Consider going for a 50mm instead of the kit lens.
One of Nikons most popular film cameras until production was discontinued in 2001 but there’s still plenty available on the secondhand market. FM2 was built in high quality but still managed to have a low weight and size. Therefore, I always have it lying in my bag instead of the bigger and heavier D600, although film has its limits.
Extremely versatile wide angle lens. Works great when trying to capture wide areas such as rooms, odd portraits and landscapes. Far from everyone use wide angle lenses regularly so make sure you really need one before purchasing the Nikon 16-35/4G. Consider renting or lending one from a friend to try it out before you buy.
Often referred to as the nifty fifty and produced in huge amounts, this has the best quality relative to its price. Due to its quality and focal length, this is the lens I most often use. There’s been a few updates (not compatible with my FM2) but it doesn’t really matter which 50mm lens you go for in terms of quality. The latest one is Nikon 50/1.8G AF-S.
The lens for portraits and it has amazing quality so I regularly use it for other photos as well. Unfortunately it comes with a big price tag and if the f/1.4 isn’t extremely important for you, I’d recommend you to go for the cheaper f/1.8 with almost the same quality but one third of the price so you can spend the difference on one additional focal length.
Most affordable tele lens with an amazing range and low weight. Delivers high quality photos to a fraction of competitors prices. I’ve previously considered buying Nikon 80-400/4.5-5.6 but this lens delivers just as good photos for half the price and even offers an extra 200 mm which is great because you can never come close enough.
After countless of attempts with flashes, I gave up and purchased two Lowel Ego Lights – now used for all my food photography. The construction is simple and there’s a few DIY guides available online if you want to create your own. For me, it was time better spent purchasing two working examples than trying to build my own.
If you’re serious about your photography, it’s probably a wise decision to take a course.