Sometimes it’s just meant to be. Call it destiny. I and my neighbors had a corridor party in the beginning of this year and, much to my joy, we started to discuss running. My sister is arranging a 5 km race this spring and naturally the conversation headed in that direction.
– So.. I promised my sister I’ll be participating but I need to find a 5 km circuit to practice.
– Oh, I’ve got one I run now and then. You just go over there, followed by right, right and left…
– Yeah. Just follow this path and then go right, right, left and then right again.
– I’ve no idea where that is. You’ll have to show me.
– Sure, we can go on monday.
– Wait! Maybe that’s not such a…
– You can’t back out now.
– Alright, it’s a deal. We’ll go for a 5 km on monday.
I admit, she caught me in a weak moment and I broke one of my rules – never make promises when you’re intoxicated. However, I’m a man of my word and always follow through.
Two additional neighbors joined and it was great. Exercise is much like a comic with the devil and angel on your shoulders. As soon as you get a bit tired; the devil starts to whisper – come on, take a break, you’re tired. You deserve it. The advantage of the right workout partner is that you’ll inspire and encourage each other. Together your angels will win over the devil.
Be careful though. If your chemistry is a bit wrong; you might end up encouraging each other to skip exercise instead. It becomes a good excuse to eat unhealthy. “But he’s doing it!”
Find a workout partner and take your exercise to the next level.